Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Graham Avenue Meats & Deli

Going through the archives, I stumbled on a mouth watering photo taken in Brooklyn, NY. Graham Avenue Meats and Deli is a delicious find and I highly recommend going there when you have a craving for a genuine Italian Sub. Here's the photo and a review from my writer friend Aeran Shabi. Enjoy!


Graham Avenue Meats and Deli
445 Graham Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11211


Dish: Willie’s Italian Special

Every now and then a dish confounds me. I have no problem telling you if something tastes awful and in exactly which ways it falls short. But this type of word loss comes from a sensory rush that speaks on levels well beyond what you see in front of you. To eat Willie’s Italian Special sub at Graham Ave. Meats and Deli is to ingest history, passion and deeper gastronomical love. The sandwich is the grand finale to an experience that begins when you walk in the door. Like a scene that was plucked right out of a Scorsese flick, I walked in to find a small corridor-like shop covered in memorabilia of Brooklyn life. Pictures and news clippings of Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth, and Old Blue Eyes drowned out the old and peeling pinstripe wall paper. A young man covered in tattoos had his back facing the counter as he was hard at work on a customer’s sub, so he called out to his father who was busy in the back. Out steps a middle-aged, balding and black-haired Italian mobster archetype, complete with a wall-matching pinstripe button up that he left open at the chest to show off the gold chains that hung from his leathery neck. Perfect. He stuck his head through a wind chime of hanging sausages and asked what I wanted to order. I ordered the well-recommended Italian Special in between bouts of laughter over the man in a sausage forest standing in front of me. The father turned and relayed the order to his son, then went over to him to check his progress. As if the father had read the secret wish in my eyes, he began to yell at his son in a too-legit-to-quit Brooklyn born, Italian accent, “You’re eh-slicing the tomatoes eh-too eh-thick! Can’t you eh-do anything right around eh-here?!” The son began to argue back in Italian as the father walked into the back hall while shouting Italian obscenities and gesturing with three pressed fingers toward the kid. I had hit the motherland. I had been waiting for this sandwich shop my entire life. Despite the father’s critique of his son’s craftsmanship, this man painstakingly shaved each tomato, each slice of provolone, each layer of homemade meat paper thin. He took time to lay each ingredient on the fluffy roll with detail and precision, even going back to adjust a slice of tomato that had slipped out of place. Fifteen minutes later and my mouth was watering profusely. I ordered a few stuffed Sicilian olives and mozzarella stuffed peppers to go on the side, thanked and tipped the artisan thoroughly for his care, and set out to find a park where I could begin my religious experience.
Upon finding my shady niche, I unwrapped the monster of a sandwich and just stared at it for a bit. It was a piece of art. The reds of the meats and tomatoes right up against the white of the cheese and green of the peppers formed a Warhol-like contrast that looked as pleasing as it smelled. My first bite was nirvana, only to be outdone by the second and third bites. The cheese had a wonderfully musty tang that complimented the spicy meats and peppers, and what’s better is that it had a slight crumble to its texture rather than the gelatin feeling of cheap deli cheese. The Italian Special features a harmony of meats including prosciutto, capicola, and a special type of salami that the owner Willie picked out himself, all sliced so thin that they bathed your tongue with spicy flavor and then dissolved before you even had a chance to try and chew. The inside of the sandwich was lined with a black olive spread that wasn’t made with bland olives from a can, which I very much appreciated, having grown up eating fresh olives. The vinegar and olive oil dressing was spicy and sour and nothing short of delicious, which is why I didn’t feel shame in licking the wrapper. It took me all of about fifteen napkins to finish the sandwich, after which I sat there dazed and in disbelief that I had never experienced a true sandwich until then. At $8 for a much-bragged-about 1.25 lb. weighing sub, I’d say that Graham Ave. Meats and Deli is offering religious enlightenment at a reasonable price too.

- Aeran Shabi


No comments: